The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) rejected investment firm Kryptoin’s proposal for a spot bitcoin exchange-traded fund (ETF) in a letter on Wednesday.
- The decision comes roughly five weeks after the agency had rejected VanEck’s application for a spot bitcoin ETF.
- It was also not unexpected, as SEC Chair Gary Gensler has indicated his preference for a bitcoin futures ETF over an ETF that holds bitcoin itself.
- Two bitcoin futures ETFs, the ProShares Bitcoin Strategy ETF (BITO) and the Valkyrie Bitcoin Strategy ETF (BTF), began trading in October.
- The SEC first began officially evaluating the Kryptoin application in April.
- Bitcoin’s price was down slightly in Wednesday afternoon trading.
Read more: SEC Delays Decision on 4 Bitcoin ETFs
Source: Coin Desk