Parler, a free-speech social media platform popular with U.S. conservatives, is launching an NFT collection highlighting former President Donald Trump “in a myriad of settings that capture the essence of the Trump Presidency using symbolic imagery with serious undertones.”
- The images were created by Jon McNaughton, an artist known particularly for paintings of American conservative political figures, especially Republicans, and Christian imagery.
- “[McNaughton’s] acclaimed style, creative message, and digital delivery align perfectly with Parler’s goal to move squarely into Web 3 technologies and partnerships that further our commitment to freedom of expression,” said Parler CEO George Farmer in a statement.
- The move follows last month’s announcement by former First Lady Melania Trump that she would be releasing an NFT series featuring images of herself, also with Parler. Despite the fact that a portion of the proceeds will go to benefit charity, the announcement attracted some jibes on Twitter.
- Part 1 of the Parler “Trump Legacy” series features a collection of 10,000 pieces of art derived from McNaughton’s hand-painted images, minted on Ethereum as ERC-721 tokens.
- Presales will be available to whitelist subscribers starting on Jan. 20 for 0.10 ETH (roughly $320), with remaining tokens to be sold to the public later.
- While the artwork prominently features Trump, the former president himself has been a longstanding opponent of cryptocurrencies, calling them “very dangerous” as recently as last month.
UPDATE (Jan. 14, 14:46 UTC): Replaces photograph, adds details of McNaughton’s work in first bullet point, Trump’s opposition to cryptocurrencies in last bullet.
Source: Coin Desk